a los angeles girl in new york city

A STYLE, MUSIC, ART, AND TRAVEL JOURNAL

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

MONTHLY MUSIC MAILBAG: April 2013

Here's the tunes I loved this past month.

5. The Rip Tide - Beirut


Beirut is opening for Vampire Weekend at the Hollywood Bowl (which I'm seeing!!!) and I couldn't be more excited. This song is one of my favorites. The first minute is filled with intense music that conveys the emotions of a storm over the ocean. The rest of the song is just pure awesome.

4. Lakehouse - Of Monsters & Men


I saw Of Monsters & Men at Coachella, but was only able to catch Little Talks, Mountain Sound, and this song. I was so happy because I absolutely adore Lakehouse... it reminds me of a lake I spent a week at last summer where I have about a million memories. 

3. Campus - Vampire Weekend


My love for this song has always existed, but it recently exploded into a giant cloud of perfect. Vampire Weekend was also amazing at Coachella, and this song was no exception. There was a dude next to me that new every word to it which, for some reason, made me really happy. I imagine going to a university on the East Coast every time I play this. It's great.

2. Petulia - The Kooks


I guess this counts as a last-minute add, considering I just remembered how good this song was last night right before I went to sleep. This followed by me trying to teach myself the guitar part (and failing). I always loved the slower songs from The Kooks (re: Seaside, Do You Love Me Still?), and this is no exception.

1. Everything - Ben Howard


I cannot put my love for this song in words. Every time I listen to Ben Howard, I close my eyes and picture staring through a window and seeing cloudy skies and rain. I may be one of the few who is ecstatic about rain... it's just so peaceful. Ben Howard is the soundtrack to May's rainy days, and Everything is the theme song.

No comments:

Post a Comment