a los angeles girl in new york city

A STYLE, MUSIC, ART, AND TRAVEL JOURNAL

Tuesday, March 10, 2015

DIY: Dyeing a Denim Jacket Darker

Hello lovelies!!! If you've been living under a rock and haven't been obsessing/dying over Alexa Chung's collaboration with AG Denim, I'm so sorry. I succumbed to the semi-insane price tag of the gorgeous collection about a month ago, and dropped $180 on the Kety skirt, which is a super cute button-down denim skirt. 


Source: AG Denim

I am so in love with the deep blues that Alexa chose for this line, as seen in this photo of my favorite (but sadly, too expensive) piece: a button-down denim dress. While some may say that the denim-on-denim trend has come and gone (or flat out ended with the iconic Britney and JT red carpet look), I'm still a full supporter. I wanted to have a jacket that matched the deep blue of my AC x AG skirt, so I set out to my local craft store to get my DIY on.

You will need:
1) A (somewhat) lightly-colored denim jacket
2) one pack of royal blue RIT dye
3) one pack of black RIT dye
4) hot water
5) a working space where you won't splash dye everywhere (I used my backyard lawn)

Step 1:
Find your jacket and think about the color it has. My denim jacket from GAP was pretty similar to this one: distressed, lighter in some places, darker in others. I wanted to make it more bright blue and less distressed. 


Source: GAP

Step 2: Fill the bucket full of hot water. Soak your jacket in hot water, too.
Step 3: Depending on the color you want to dye your jacket, add amounts of black and blue RIT dye. For example: if you want it to be darker, add more black. If you want the color to be a true deep blue, add equal black and blue. If you want it to be lighter blue, add mostly blue with a little bit of black. I did the whole packet of blue and the whole packet of black.


Step 4: Soak the jacket in the dye bath. Leave it in for about 30 minutes, periodically stirring the dye bath and moving the jacket around so you can make it uniformly dyed. 

Step 5: Once your jacket is completely dyed, wring out all of the water and rinse it with a hose into the grass. This will get all of the excess dye out so it won't bleed on your clothes, a couch, etc. Throw your jacket in the dryer and let it dry completely. 

Step 6 (optional): if you want your jacket to still look a little bit worn, get out a piece of sand paper and rough up the edges.




The finished product! It's a little bluer in real life; the light in my room doesn't do it justice.


Now I can truly be my Alexa-Chung-dream-girl self.

xx Alyssa

4 comments:

  1. That turned out great! Definitely an easy update. Dyeing stuff is fun!

    COOCOO FOR COCO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so much fun, always bringing new life to old clothes! Thank you!!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you!! She is my ultimate girl crush, I would literally do anything to be her!

      Delete