a los angeles girl in new york city

A STYLE, MUSIC, ART, AND TRAVEL JOURNAL

Monday, April 13, 2015

COACHELLA 2015: Weekend 1 // Sylvan Esso, Alt-J, FKA twigs, Panda Bear, Odesza and more!

Hello lovelies!!! I'm back from Coachella Weekend 1, and although I'm super tired and have a lot of work to catch up on, I wouldn't have missed it for the world. I got to see so many great artists, eat the best food, check out all of Coachella's awesome installations, and have a blast with friends. Here's a list of everyone I saw within the three days of Coachella weekend one, accompanied by some photos and thoughts. Disclaimer: I really wanted to see George Ezra, but he had to cancel his set because he has laryngitis :(

Day 1:
Vic Mensa, Keys N Krates, Sylvan Esso, The War on Drugs, Caribou, Flying Lotus


Sylvan Esso was fantastic. Their stage presence was so awesome, and the crowd got so into all of the songs, dancing and singing along. 


I took this photo as Flying Lotus was setting up. His visuals were amazing, and the set was great.

Day 2:
Coasts, Parquet Courts, Gramatik, Chet Faker, Hozier, Alt-J, Tyler the Creator, FKA twigs, SBTRKT, Annie Mac


I was so happy to finally get there and hear Coasts, a band which I've listening to/loved for a while now. I got off the shuttle as they had already been playing for 10 minutes, and as they only had a 30 minute set, I basically sprinting a little less than a mile to the second row of the Mojave (maybe Gobi? I can't even remember...) tent to see their last three songs. 

Follow on Bloglovin


Parquet Courts was right after Coasts, and it was super fun show. I was at the front row (no moshing for Alyssa...).


I'm not gonna lie or try to be cool here; I know three Hozier songs. I pushed my way to the front section of his set with my friends because Alt-J was playing right after, but I found myself pleasantly surprised at his set. He also rocks the hair.


Alt-J was an intense emotional experience. The only other time I have seen them live was Coachella 2013; we had run in at the very end of their set and saw "Breezeblocks" and "Taro," not appreciating them at all. This time around, I was so excited/emotional that I cried during "Dissolve Me." It was fantastic. 


This is a terrible picture, but I just wanted to share the fact that Ezra Koenig of Vampire Weekend came out and sang for his track "NEW DORP. NEW YORK" with SBTRKT. My dreams had come true, and I was in heaven. The rest of SBTRKT's set was crazy awesome, too. 

Day 3: Panda Bear, What So Not, St. Lucia, Vance Joy, Marina & The Diamonds, Jamie xx, Odesza, Drake


I am in love with Panda Bear, and the set was everything I hoped it to be. Also, the visuals were freaky and disturbing but fit perfectly with the music. I think Noah is so talented, and his music/lyrics are so interesting and transformative, especially live. It was a religious experience.


Odesza's set was the last one I was really into at Coachella (my friends and I sat in the back for three songs of Drake before we left) so I made it a point to have as much fun as possible. They played all of my favorite songs, and everyone around me was dancing and having a great time.

I'm so sad Coachella 2015 is over... next year better come quickly! I will post about all of my outfits tomorrow, so stay tuned.

xx Alyssa

5 comments:

  1. Ezra!!!!!!! He is the king of my heart :) I'm also really jealous that you got to see Panda Bear! How was Tyler the Creator?

    COOCOO FOR COCO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was so much fun!!! All of my friends were obsessed with him a few years ago so it was a throwback for us :)

      Delete
  2. ahhh you are beyond lucky!!! i'm glad you had such a good time, can't believe you saw all of these guys awww!!!!

    thisisfrom-matilda.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. ahhhhh girl i am so jealous!!!! i hope u had the time of ur life tho <3

    ReplyDelete