a los angeles girl in new york city

A STYLE, MUSIC, ART, AND TRAVEL JOURNAL

Thursday, May 21, 2015

My Favorite Songs: April/May 2015

Hellooooo lovelies! So I've been neglecting my monthly list of favorite songs, and I decided that now (with summer approaching!) that I would compile a playlist of songs that I've been listening to since Coachella. Yes, I measure time relative to Coachella. Get ready. 

On The Other Side - The Strokes
This song basically sums me up right now. Don't get me wrong; I'm not "tired of everyone I know," but I'm just a little bored with still being in high school. What can I say.


Faces In The Crowd - Panda Bear
My obsession with Panda Bear started around October last year, and it definitely hasn't slowed down. This song is fantastic, and so fun to play in my car whilst driving. I also just love Noah's vocals.



Play It Right - Sylvan Esso
Seeing Sylvan Esso at Coachella made me love them even more than I did before, so I've been listening to their self-titled debut album basically nonstop since then. 


Minimal Affection - The Vaccines
If you know me, you know I my everlasting love for The Vaccines. It's safe to say that they are my favorite band of all time. This is a track off their new album, English Graffiti (which comes out next week), and it just fills my heart with happiness. Justin's weird vocals? Check. A Strokes-esque guitar line? Check. Half-assed, lazy lyrics that The Vaccines are notorious for? Check. Literally everything I could ever want in a Vaccines song.


Can't Do Without You - Caribou
I also saw Caribou at Coachella, and this song was definitely my favorite of the set. It was so much fun (and I can't wait to see Caribou again at Outside Lands this August!!!).


Best Friend - The Drums
One of my awesome penpals all the way from Poland sent me a mix CD with this song on it, and I've been listening to it like crazy ever since. I'm so excited to see The Drums at Outside Lands, too!


Vintage Red - Jay Jay Pistolet
Ah, Justin Young. You never fail to amazing me. This one doesn't need an explanation.


Young Love - The Mystery Jets (featuring Laura Marling)
I heard this song on the radio (maybe?) a while back and wrote it down on the notes on my iPhone. I'm pretty sure I never heard it when it came out because I'm not British/I was 10 when it was released and listened primary to Maroon 5 and Taylor Swift. Not that I don't love Taylor Swift. 


I Didn't See It Coming - Belle & Sebastian
I didn't see Belle & Sebastian at Coachella (same time as Alt-J... let me die), and I recently re-watched God Help The Girl, so I've been in a total Belle & Sebastian phase the past couple of months. I played them on shuffle in my art class, and everyone hated it. WHY?? What are you afraid of??? Scottish people and happiness??


What were your favorite songs this month/recently?
xx Alyssa

6 comments:

  1. these are great songs, I particularly like the Mystery Jets; they're pretty cool x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, this is the first time I've heard of them but I like them so far!!

      Delete
  2. Young Love takes me back! haven't heard that song is soooo long. recently i'm liking Mac DeMarco and some of willow smiths new stuff on youtube like 'female energy' and 'F-Q-C' x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. there's so much hype around mac demarco, I'm honestly surprised I haven't gotten into him yet. He was at Coachella, but panda bear was at the same time so I missed him... but he's playing at outside lands (in august!!) so maybe I'll finally get into him before then!!

      Delete
  3. Panda Bear has such an amazing voice. I don't know what it is but it's so sexy to me? Have you ever seen when he was in some like weird student films in like 1999? If not, please watch these!

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iHBHXtzwfs
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xB2hRH9WnQ8
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dMP4fu6-3E

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree with you!!! I love it. And thanks so much for the links, watching them right now :)

      Delete