a los angeles girl in new york city

A STYLE, MUSIC, ART, AND TRAVEL JOURNAL

Wednesday, October 21, 2015

DIY Lazy Oaf-Inspired Sheer Dress

Hello lovelies! Recently, I was browsing the Lazy Oaf (one of my favorite brands) online shop when I stumbled across their new Lazy Oaf x Casper collection, just in time for Halloween. The piece that caught my eye immediately was this cute little, sheer dress that was embellished with Casper the Friendly Ghost appliqué patches.


Instagram




 I was instantly inspired to make my own, so I whipped out my sewing machine, made a quick trip to the fabric store, and started working. Instead of using Casper patches, I got a bunch of little white star appliqués. I used a dress I already owned (which was a similar cut as Lazy Oaf's) to create the pattern. Here's the final product:






I must say, I'm pretty impressed with myself. I don't use patterns often when sewing, and I made this nearly carbon copy in about two hours - it was well worth it. It only cost me around $15, too! I can't wait to think of some creative ways to wear this.

xx Alyssa

5 comments:

  1. Just found your blog and love it - had to follow you on Bloglovin! We both have sewing machines that we need to take advantage of and this is such a cool DIY , especially with the edgy and original design and that you're probably saving yourself a good amount of money
    Feel free to check out our latest post x
    LOOK LOVE WEAR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saved myself SO much money! Thank you!! xx

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh this is so genius. I loved this dress but didn't purchase it knowing that it is something you could probably make yourself and you actually made it! It looks gorgeous too - great job xx

    Sophie Elizabeth
    www.popcornandglitter.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent! I wish I had the ability to 'whip out my sewing machine'! Alas, a) I don't have a sewing machine and b) I barely know how to thread a needle. GOOD LUCK with your college applications, your blog is super-cool :)

    ReplyDelete