1. Have a perfect Instagram aesthetic.
Pick a theme and stick to it. It can be a color (whites, pinks, blues), a specific filter, you can even post countless selfies; just make sure that it's cohesive and not irritating. All of my friends (including myself) have Instagram feeds that are on point. Bonus points for beach sunset photos.
2. Change up your style often.
One thing LA girls can do best is our impeccable ability to change our style from day to day. Monday, a look straight out of Gossip Girl. Wednesday, you're going to garage-rock show at The Fonda. Friday, you're about to leave for Coachella. Los Angeles has such a wide variety of style/shopping opportunities, and we take advantage of them all.
3. Add these words to your vocabulary: SoulCycle, Pressed Juice, The Bu, mob, the 405.
a) expensive workout place, b) expensive blended crap, c) where the celebrities really hang out, d) a verb meaning "go," e) hell on earth.
4. Have an opinion on every restaurant, even if you've never been there.
Gracias Madre? I've been there, but it's too vegan for me. Good celeb sightings though. Tatsu Ramen? Definitely the best on Sawtelle. What, you've never been to Blue Plate? Oh my god, I'm embarrassed to be your friend.
5. If you do see a celebrity, pretend like you don't know who they are.
Oh yeah, I see Kim and Kanye at that Starbucks all the time. Of course I didn't get a picture. In the words of the great Father John Misty:
"Now everywhere I go in West Hollywood / It's filled with people pretending they don't see the actress and the actress wishing that they could"
6. Even if you're like me and you don't like juice/boba/other weird drinks, pretend you do.
Or at least order everything but weird drinks at places like Urth Caffe and Kreation.
7. Drive everywhere. Complain about the traffic, but secretly enjoy singing along to your music library while you're stopped on the freeway.
What's public transportation? How do you use that? If I'm gonna sit in traffic, I'd rather do it in the comfort of my own Beetle (that I named, of course) listening to some unknown artist that's playing at the Troubador next week.
8. Go to Coachella once.
No matter where you're from, when I go to Coachella, I assume everyone is Californian. There's just something about being stuck in a hot desert for a weekend with people wearing minimally clothing... they never forget the flower crowns, though.
9. Hike, even if it's for 15 minutes on flat land.
Make sure you wear cute workout clothes and Instagram it.
10. Constantly talk about how you want to move to New York City.