a los angeles girl in new york city

A STYLE, MUSIC, ART, AND TRAVEL JOURNAL

Monday, November 2, 2015

Monthly Music Mailbag: October 2015

Today is the second day of November, which means literally everything smells like pumpkin spice by now. Not like that's a bad thing. November is my third favorite month, behind December and October. Thanksgiving is such a great holiday; every year, I get to go up north to the Bay Area to spend time with family and explore San Francisco. This year, I'm hoping to check out the Mission District, as I've never been. 

And with the end of each month comes a list of my most-listened to songs for the past 30-ish days! I always hope you guys can discover some new (or old) music through my monthly lists. If you do stumble upon something you like, please leave me a comment and let me know!

5. Evening Sun - The Strokes


For my birthday (October 19th), I got First Impressions of Earth on vinyl. That night, while I was alone in my room, I spun it on my turntable, carefully listening to each song and being an introspective, angsty teenage girl. This song, with the lyric "I love you more than being 17," just really hit me that night, as I'd finally lived for seventeen years on this planet.

4. One (Blake's Got A New Face) - Vampire Weekend


I recently read somewhere on the internet that the majority of hardcode Vampire Weekend fans hate this song. I mean, hopefully the internet is lying, because I love it. It's clean, crisp, and poppy. I've been listening to Vampire Weekend's self-titled a lot recently, since I think it's a perfect autumn album, and also because it makes me feel smarter and I really want to get into college (re: "Campus," "M79," general awesomeness that the whole band went to Columbia). "Oh, your collegiate grief has left you dowdy in sweatshirts, absolute horror!" 

3. Bros - Wolf Alice


I recently saw Wolf Alice play in LA, and they were awesome. I'd listened to their album quite a few times before the concert, but seeing "Bros" live made me love it even more. Ellie Rowsell is kind of a goddess, and this song is just so happy and cute and makes me feel aliiiiiive. I mean, with a title like "Bros," it's destined for greatness.

2. Kids On Holiday - Animal Collective


I also got Sung Tongs on vinyl for my birthday, and I can't stop listening to it. It's the perfect album for sleepy mornings and wishing we actually had autumn weather here in Southern California. I love the lyric "every kid gets excited when his parents are yelling." 

1. Chateau Lobby #4 (In C for Two Virgins)


My best friends surprised me for my birthday by taking me to a Father John Misty concert, and I couldn't have been happier. J. Tillman is hilarious, awesome, intriguing, and an amazing lyricist and musician. This song is my favorite off of his sophomore effort, I Love You, Honeybear. That single strum at the beginning, the mariachi band in the background, the imagery of the music video - it just makes me want to run around Los Angeles and never stop.

xx Alyssa

2 comments:

  1. That's so funny about Blake's got a new face cause it's kind of my least favourite VW song. I think the chorus is a little too yelpy for me or something? Which is strange because I've literally listened on loop to a compilation of Ezra's spoken voice cracks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I guess it can be really irritating to some people! I just think it's so groovy and fun, but I understand why some people don't feel the same :)

      Delete