a los angeles girl in new york city

A STYLE, MUSIC, ART, AND TRAVEL JOURNAL

Friday, November 6, 2015

ROOKIE YEARBOOK 4: Meeting Tavi Gevinson

I've been an avid reader of Rookie Mag for years. I went to the LA stop of the Rookie Road Trip in 2012, when I was in the prime of my awkward early teenager phase. It was the summer before my first year of high school, and it was eye-opening. Basically, in one summer, I went from being a crazed, One Direction-obsessed weirdo to a slightly more sensible, knowledgable, confident weirdo. I couldn't have been more excited when Tavi announced she would be touring the country, reading and signing the fourth Rookie Yearbook. And, yes, I own all four.

My friends and I arrived at the Los Feliz bookstore, Skylight, at 5:00 on the dot. With our Yearbooks in hand, we sat watching Tavi and other Rookie contributors reading pieces from throughout the past year. It was Halloween night, and Tavi's last-minute costume idea was the set from Drake's Hotline Bling video. "Can anyone draw me a dancing Drake for my costume? I don't think people get it," she said - I jumped at the challenge. This not only got me some Tavi cred, but two shoutouts on her Instagram, and a great story to tell.










Check me out on Instagram @alyszsa!

xx Alyssa

8 comments:

  1. legit so cool!! wish she would come to london!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's amazing! I didn't know this was going on lol. Does Tavi live in LA?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure she lives in New York but she was doing a little book tour across the country!

      Delete
  3. this looks so awesome, i read rookie religiously! I wish they would do rookie events in the uk!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're the one who drew that!!!!! SO COOL! I love Tavi! Next year I hope she comes to SF again.

    www.indigoritual.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it was awesome!!! I'm sure she will :)

      Delete