a los angeles girl in new york city

A STYLE, MUSIC, ART, AND TRAVEL JOURNAL

Monday, January 4, 2016

GARDEN STATE (New Year in New Jersey)

I spent my last days of 2015 in New Jersey with family. I've been before, but never overnight, and I must say that I was pleasantly surprised. As I've stressed before, we really don't get a lot of greenery here in Southern California, so it's always refreshing to be surrounded by (alive) grass and trees.


Before leaving for this New York/New Jersey trip, I watched Garden State, a 2004 film which I learned about this summer in conjunction to my "Music & Politics" course. Basically, the soundtrack was really big for "indie" music, and had a big influence on things like the (500) Days of Summer soundtrack. The most recognizable song on Garden State's soundtrack (for me) was "New Slang" by The Shins. The "Manic Pixie Dream Girl" trope is visible in Natalie Portman's character in the film - if you don't know what that is, Google it! 


We went on a walk through the forest, so I took some photos of the fog swirling around trees and the pretty colors of moss.




I'm back in LA now (today is my first day back at school). It's actually supposed to rain every day this week, so that's exciting. Maybe we'll get some greenery of our own! I hope everyone is having a lovely 2016 so far - stick to your resolutions!

xx Alyssa

2 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous of the greenery there! I live in PA, where at this time of the year everything beautiful and green is now brown and dead.

    WonderGoth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how it is in California too!

      Delete