a los angeles girl in new york city

A STYLE, MUSIC, ART, AND TRAVEL JOURNAL

Monday, February 1, 2016

IT'S OUR TURN (Brentwood Young Women's Conference 2016)

Hello lovelies! This past Saturday, I got the amazing opportunity to attend Brentwood School's third-ever Young Women's Conference, It's Our Turn. Teenage girls (and even some boys) from around the Los Angeles area gathered at Brentwood to listen to panel discussions, interviews, speakers, spoken word poets, and more with the goal of empowering young women. I went with my two best friends, and we had such a great time.

Other than the fantastic line-up of speakers, Brentwood had a "Main Street" set up with cute booths full of activities and food. My friends and I took a picture at the photo booth wearing flower crowns that we had made with other girls at the conference.


One of the first panel discussions was about personal style and featured Sophia Amoruso (founder/owner of Nastygal), Peter Kim (founder/owner of Hudson Jeans), and Gabi Gregg (fashion and beauty blogger). They discussed issues like body image, photoshopping in the fashion world, and dealing with criticism. I read Sophia Amoruso's book, #GIRLBOSS, last year, and she instantly became one of my inspirations - you could say I was a little excited when she followed me on Instagram after I commented on her photo from the conference.


I was most starstruck when the legendary Diane von F├╝rstenberg spoke about her life story and journey to the top. She was witty, sassy, and gave one of the best pieces of advice I'd heard all day: "The strength of women always comes out during the worst of times... don't wait until then to show it," she said. 


The conference ended with an interview of Cindy Crawford by Maria Shriver. My favorite part was when Cindy described how it was being the model of the moment: "People treated me like I had no IQ. I was like, 'I was the Valedictorian! I'm smart!'" Not saying I get treated like I have no IQ, but I really connected with that statement.

Overall, I'm so glad I finally got to attend this conference, and I'm excited to continue growing my blog, brand, and experience with the lessons I learned from the countless female role models that spoke. Catch me and my friends at 0:40! 


xx Alyssa

No comments:

Post a Comment