a los angeles girl in new york city

A STYLE, MUSIC, ART, AND TRAVEL JOURNAL

Tuesday, February 2, 2016

MONTHLY MUSIC MAILBAG (January 2016)

Well, the first month of 2016 has passed in the blink of an eye, and of course, I have a list of my five favorite musical discoveries of this past month to share.

5. "I Got The Moves" by Habibi


I discovered this song on one of the last days of 2015. I must admit, I'm that girl that uses Siri for everything, and the cool "Hey Siri" feature that's on my 6+ is just like, the best thing that's ever happened to me. Anyway, I said "Hey Siri, what song is playing right now?" while eating brunch at Eggshop in Nolita, NYC, and this song popped up. I've been hooked ever since.

4. "Never Be Like You" (feat. Kai) by Flume


I've been going through a huge Flume phase lately since I'll be seeing him for the second time at Coachella in April. This is the single from his new album Skin, and I love it. His synths always get me.

3. "BIPP" by SOPHIE


I've been obsessing over London-based producer SOPHIE for the past few months, and since I'll also be catching his set at Coachella, the hype has increased. I'm such a fan of the pitch shifted vocals.

2. "Kill V. Maim" by Grimes


When my brother and I actually agree on listening to a certain artist/album, it's magic. I drive him to school every day, and since our commute is about 30 minutes long, we have to bump some jams that we both enjoy. "Kill V. Maim" is such an awesome song, and always starts off my day right.

1. "Infinity +1" by Sunbeam Sound Machine


When I was waiting in the crowd for Tame Impala at Outside Lands Music Festival this past summer, I made a "festival friend" who told me to listen to Sunbeam Sound Machine. While studying for finals earlier this month, I played his album Wanderer on loop. It's dreamy, psychedelic pop, perfect for focusing and chilling out. This song is probably my favorite on the album - "the world's such a beautiful place."

What were your favorite songs this month, and what do you think of these?
xx Alyssa

No comments:

Post a Comment