a los angeles girl in new york city

A STYLE, MUSIC, ART, AND TRAVEL JOURNAL

Monday, March 28, 2016

HOW TO PACK LIGHT FOR A 5-DAY TRIP

If you've been reading my blog lately, you've probably seen some stuff relating to minimalism. I've gotten rid of a lot of my clothes and other possessions within the past month or so, and I feel awesome! I'm going away for Spring Break on a short trip up north, and while I was getting ready this morning, I realized it was the perfect opportunity to show how I pack minimally.


STEP ONE: CLOTHING


I'll be gone for five nights, and here's what I packed:
- blue jeans, black jeans, black/white pants
- long sleeved shirt, two short sleeve shirts
- sweatpants, sweater (while these are loungewear items, they can definitely be dressed up to wear in public, I promise!!)
- one pair of pyjamas
- one pair of fashionable walking shoes, one pair of black boots (not pictured)

STEP TWO: ACCESSORIES


I normally pack super light when it comes to accessories. Other than my wallet, small bag, and sunglasses, I stick to one pair of earrings (that I wear the whole time) and maybe one necklace or a couple of rings.

STEP THREE: WEATHER-WEAR


Depending on where you're heading, you'll need some weather-specific items. It's going to be a little chilly for my standards, so I'm bringing my big furry Levi's jacket and my leather jacket. With weather-wear, I like to stick to one nighttime piece (leather jacket) and one daytime (denim). If it's hot where you're headed, considering a casual beach slip for daytime and a nice, light scarf for nighttime.

STEP FOUR: PACKING IT IN



First of all, it's all about the bag. I have this one from Kipling that I've used forever.


You have to start with the lightest things like sweaters and t-shirts. This way, when you put the heavier stuff on top, it'll all squish down and save you some space. 

And by heavier stuff, I mean jeans, outerwear, shoes, etc. Here's my final bag for my 5-night, 6-day trip! I had lots of room to spare, even after I added my toiletries and boring stuff like socks and underwear.

xx Alyssa

12 comments:

  1. I can't believe you managed to fit 6 days worth of clothes into that bag - so impressive! If it was me i would have had to bring a suitcase, i'm such an over-packer! x

    Becky | BCKY.CO.UK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My secret is packing things with the same color scheme so that cuts it down a lot!!

      Delete
  2. This is so impressive! I always either pack too much or too little :p

    WonderGoth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've yet to have the too little problem! Maybe this trip will be the one ;)

      Delete
  3. Fab advice! I'm the world's worst packer haha xx
    britishmermaid.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I'm sure you're not!! We all have our bad packer phase :)

      Delete
  4. I always start inside out and put my shoes at the bottom. So I think it was always wrong! hehehe
    xoxo
    www.donkeycool.es

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to do that all the time too, but switching it around has proved to be so much better :)

      Delete
  5. Great tips and post!

    http://chicglamstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aha I need this! Also that biker jacket is THE CUTEST! x

    ratherstrangeblog.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete