a los angeles girl in new york city

A STYLE, MUSIC, ART, AND TRAVEL JOURNAL

Friday, March 4, 2016

MONTHLY MUSIC MAILBAG: Februrary 2016

It's time for last month's top tracks!



#5: "Cruel Ways" by Drowners


I've been a Drowners fan since the release of their self titled debut back in 2014, and I'm excited as ever to be getting some new music from them. "Cruel Ways" is a little bit moody, a little bit groovy, and definitely shows the evolution of the band. I can't wait to hear the rest of their new material in June with the release of On Desire.

#4: "Vroom Vroom" by Charli XCX


Produced by PC Music's SOPHIE, Charli XCX's new EP is quite simply fire. I've never really listened to her music before, but these songs are infectious. I put on this track while running yesterday and it was fantastic. I really hope SOPHIE plays this song at Coachella next month!

#3: "Bagels in Kiev" by Animal Collective


"Bagels in Kiev," in my opinion, is one of the best songs on Animal Collective's new album Painting With. It's complex, a little tricky to figure out, and reminiscent of "Bluish" (off of Merriweather Post Pavilion) after the first chorus. Can't wait to see these dudes on Tuesday at The Fonda!!!

#2: "In My Dreams" by Danny L. Harle


Another outfit of PC Music, Danny L. Harle's "In My Dreams" has been on repeat this past month. Again, it's another song that's great for working out (or just having a mini dance party in your room). 

#1: "Golden Gal" by Animal Collective


This is, without a doubt, the best song on Painting With... and maybe one of Animal Collective's best of all time. It's basically a poppy, groovy love song with feminist feels. This is a song I can sing in my car without feeling like I'm offending anyone or going against my morals (cough cough "Hotline Bling"). I'm seeing Animal Collective live for the first time in four days, and I'm gonna dance so hard to this song.

What have you been listening to lately?

xx Alyssa

8 comments:

  1. cruel ways yes!

    www.avecdanielle.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. VROOM VROOM <3 that EP has been on repeat for me since it dropped, I love Charli x
    britishmermaid.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post dear! Great music :)

    mystylishcorner.blogspot.ba

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great taste, def given me some new artists to check out! Kinda contemplating doing one of these on my blog to as I really liked this X

    mayasienna13.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad! I'd love to see your post!

      Delete