a los angeles girl in new york city

A STYLE, MUSIC, ART, AND TRAVEL JOURNAL

Wednesday, April 6, 2016

MONTHLY MUSIC MAILBAG: March 2016

Ok, I'm really excited about the alliteration in this post's title. There was a lot of good music that I discovered/became obsessed with this past month, and I'm really feeling the need to share it with you all. I actually made a huge list of albums this month with the goal of listening to them all before I go to college, and it's been a wild ride so far! Now, shall we get to it?



#5: Golden Chords - Deakin

Alright, I can't provide a stream of this one yet since it just leaked today from Deakin's (of Animal Collective) Sleep Cycle, which is rumored to be released this Friday. When it is officially released though, I'm buying it immediately, and you all should to. This is a beautiful song full of natural textures, soft acoustic guitar, and lovely melodies. It feels like a comfy sweater on a rainy day and I can't get enough of it.

edit: it's out! go buy it! https://deakinjams.bandcamp.com/releases

#4: Hounds of Bairro - Animal Collective


I heard this song for the first time at AC's concert at the Fonda last month, and instantly fell in love. It feels like the band took a trip to Hawaii - groovy, poppy, and a little bit tropical - and it's fabulous. You go, lil p bear.

#3: Be Apart - Porches



I heard this on Sirius XMU and couldn't get the groove out of my head for the rest of the day. I feel like a use the word "groove" a lot, but I really mean it. You know when you're listening to a song in the car and you just have to do that little butt wiggle dance? This is one of those songs. I gave the whole Pool album a listen shortly after, and was really impressed! 

#2: Young - Frankie Cosmos



I also discovered this song and the awesomeness that is Frankie Cosmos from Sirius XMU. She actually provides some vocals on Porches' Pool, and her stuff is really rad. This song just reminds me of youth and school and summer and being naive. Frankie Cosmos' super recent release Next Thing is also really fantastic.

#1: Quarter Past The Hour - Jack + Eliza



I've previously expressed how great I think Jack + Eliza are, and this song has been on repeat all month. The music video is so dreamy, and like Frankie Cosmos' "Young," it gives me nostalgia for something I never experienced. I'll be listening to Gentle Warnings all summer long.

xx Alyssa

No comments:

Post a Comment