a los angeles girl in new york city

A STYLE, MUSIC, ART, AND TRAVEL JOURNAL

Monday, May 16, 2016

100 DAYS IN LA: Artribe 2016 (day 1)

I'm moving to New York City at the end of August 2016 to begin my freshman year at Columbia University. As a born and bred Californian girl, I have mixed feelings about leaving for the East Coast. For my 'goodbye' to the city I've called home for the past 13 years of my life, I'll be chronicling my last 100 days on this blog before the big move.


Yesterday was the first day of my last 100 days in Los Angeles. Weird to think, right? I was born in Southern California, lived in the Bay Area for a couple of years, and then moved back down to the LA area when I was four. Everything I know is Los Angeles. Don't get me wrong - I've done a lot of  traveling, visiting over 15 countries from Turkey to Australia to Tanzania. Still, I don't think anything has prepared me completely for a big cross-country move. When I was around 13 years old and in the peak of my angsty teen phase, I really hated living in Los Angeles. I mean, really hated it. I wanted to be somewhere that had actual seasons (it'd be nice to wear a cute coat sometimes) and less pretentious celebrities. Once I started to drive, though, I discovered a whole different part of LA that really appealed to me. With freedom came responsibility, but I also learned to love the city that I call home. 

I've made it a point, especially in realizing that I only have 100 days left here, to go out into different parts of Los Angeles as much as possible, whether it's to attend events, explore the streets, try new foods, etc. On my first day of the 100 days, I made the trip out to Santa Monica to check out Artribe 2016, a high school art show benefiting humanitarian aid programs in Vietnam and Nepal.


While this was the only photo of the gallery that I actually took, all of the art was beautiful. I'm so amazed at how talented high schoolers are... it made me feel subpar. 


Speaking of talent, my two friends from school played music from their project Momma. This was the first time I'd seen them perform outside of school events, and I was *so* impressed. They are so cool.



Artribe was held at a gallery space that's basically part of the Santa Monica Airport, and all of the old hangars and warehouses are perfect backdrops for candid photos.

Here's to day 1 of 100! 

xx Alyssa

4 comments:

  1. I saw pictures of Artribe on Instagram, I think its such a cool event for such an amazing cause and even cooler that its high schoolers who run it, they seriously put me to shame. Also, really love the idea of documenting your last 100 days at home, I'm really excited to see these posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is such an amazing event, so impressive! Thank you!

      Delete
  2. This post is so beautifully written!
    I totally get how frightening it can be to move across the country and leave the place you call home. It's feeling both terrified and excited at the same time, along with anxiety as the cherry on top (at least that what it was like for me ^^). Attending Columbia sounds amazing, and living in New York as well. I hope the moves goes well, and I can't wait to read more about it on your blog :) x Alona

    gentleconfusion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete