a los angeles girl in new york city

A STYLE, MUSIC, ART, AND TRAVEL JOURNAL

Wednesday, May 18, 2016

100 DAYS IN LA: How LA Has Shaped My Style (day 3)

I'm moving to New York City at the end of August 2016 to begin my freshman year at Columbia University. As a born and bred Californian girl, I have mixed feelings about leaving for the East Coast. For my 'goodbye' to the city I've called home for the past 13 years of my life, I'll be chronicling my last 100 days on this blog before the big move.


It's the third day of my 100 days, and today, I thought I'd talk about how living in Los Angeles has shaped my style. Don't get me wrong; a lot of my style is inspired by the internet, and therefore, has an international influence. But since I've grown up in LA, I've picked up certain habits (I think that's what I'd call them) that are, in my opinion, characteristic of the area. Today, I decided to highlight some of those characteristics in my outfit.



THE GRAPHIC TEE

T-shirts are definitely a staple in Los Angeles. Not those oversized, ugly crewneck t-shirts that southerners wear over athletic shorts on a daily basis (why?????), but slouchy, light graphic tees. This one from Wildfox is a perfect example of that LA aesthetic - our palm tree sunsets are iconic!

THE DENIM BOTTOM

Whether it's short shorts or a cute skirt like this one, we're notorious for our denim. We are blessed (and cursed) with almost year-round good weather, so these are definitely the bottoms of choice; they're easy to pull over a swimsuit after a day at the beach, comfortable to walk around and shop in, and just generally super darn cute.

THE WHITE CONVERSE

No shoe, in my opinion, could represent Los Angeles (and Southern California in general) better. Well, maybe a pair of Vans... but I grew up wearing Converse, and it stuck. When I was younger, these were the only shoes I ever had on, and I always got so excited when the wore out completely and I got to buy a new pair.

Until tomorrow!

xx Alyssa

2 comments:

  1. I think it's so poetic for you to write about how LA has shaped your style, Alyssa. Im also really loving the vintage vibes of this look. Are you excited to go to Columbia? NYC has always been a dream destination for me and I'm pretty excited for you to head there! x

    MAY | WWW.THEMAYDEN.COM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm so incredibly excited - everything worked out for me, I'm ending up in NYC!

      Delete