a los angeles girl in new york city

A STYLE, MUSIC, ART, AND TRAVEL JOURNAL

Wednesday, May 25, 2016

100 DAYS IN LA: Nostalgia (day 10)

I'm moving to New York City at the end of August 2016 to begin my freshman year at Columbia University. As a born and bred Californian girl, I have mixed feelings about leaving for the East Coast. For my 'goodbye' to the city I've called home for the past 13 years of my life, I'll be chronicling my last 100 days on this blog before the big move.


I used to be a very nostalgic person. Well, I probably still am - but it used to be worse. The simple resurgence of a good memory would make me hide under the covers of my bed and cry. Over the course of the past four years in high school, I've gotten better at controlling these emotions. I've deleted saved text conversations, I've thrown out movie ticket stubs that I thought I would keep forever, and I've learned to let go. Still, there are some things I refuse to part with, as it's always nice to take a little nostalgic trip back in time... especially through my journals. 

I hand-bounded a couple of journals during my time at Cow House Studios in Ireland during the summer of 2013, and they lasted me the majority of the next two years. Here's a couple of pages from these journals that I thought were worth sharing.


My favorite thing to draw used to be hands. I've since fallen out of that, but this sketch was of my own hand with this cool vintage gear ring I had on.


"A Real Conversation" and "An Imaginary Conversation" from January 2014.


"I will be one with everything that is in my past," I wrote on the left. Don't be alarmed by the right side - "Im a bonfire of human bones" is a lyric from Parquet Courts' "Content Nausea," a song I was listening to a lot at the time. 


One of my favorite things to do when journalling is make a full-spread collage out of all of my school note doodles.


Finally, this is one of my favorite notebook drawings.

I only have two days of school left after today, so expect a couple more of these nostalgia post. Next up will probably be a long playlist of throwback songs, ha!

xx Alyssa

No comments:

Post a Comment