a los angeles girl in new york city

A STYLE, MUSIC, ART, AND TRAVEL JOURNAL

Wednesday, June 1, 2016

CLOSET CLEAN-OUT + ORGANIZATION TIPS

Hello lovelies! As I've made pretty clear in the last couple of weeks, I'm moving to New York at the end of the summer to study at Columbia University. As the weather in Los Angeles is quite different from that of Manhattan, I've seen this move as an opportunity for a total wardrobe overhaul. 

Unfortunately, buying new, more high-quality clothing involves getting rid of a lot of old clothing to make space. I've had a bunch of pieces up for sale on my Poshmark for a while now, and within the next 10 days, I'm going to take whatever hasn't been sold to consignment stores and the Goodwill... so send me some offers! My clothes are cute, I promise!

Here's a few tips I use for cleaning out and organizing my wardrobe:

1. CONSISTENCY IS KEY
This applies to multiple aspects of your wardrobe. First, color scheme: pick a palette and try to stick to it. Most of my clothes are black, white, grey, and pale colors like light blue or tan. Not only is it pleasing to the eye, but it makes putting outfits together so much easier. Next, make the way you present your clothes as consistent as the clothes themselves. I used small pink hangers for all of my pants, and black velvety ones for everything else.



2. DON'T FEEL RESTRICTED BY A NUMBER
So many people will tell you that you only need one pair of black heels... forget that! Needs differ from person to person. In my case, I have five pairs of black heels: one for daily wear, two sandals for spring/summer, and two close-toed for fall/winter. I predominantly wear black, so if you're like me, multiple pairs of black shoes are a must.


3. HAVE MORE OF WHAT YOU NEED AND LESS OF WHAT YOU DON'T
This is probably my most-used tip in transitioning from an LA to a NYC wardrobe. I'm going to need more jackets in NYC, so I have more. I wear less color now, so I only have a couple of bright pieces left in my closet. Since I wear a lot of black, I have two black purses - no need for funky colors.


As for choosing what to get rid of in the first place, I go by three rules: If it doesn't fit, doesn't make you happy, or you never wear it, get rid of it. Other than that, I found this video very straightforward and helpful:


xx Alyssa

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. these were really helpful! i need to really sort out my wardrobe soon :)
    malimichaelablog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually cleaned my wardrobe last week! But this is very helpful. Also, I love the thing you have up on posmark, but I wear bigger sizes 😢

    ReplyDelete