a los angeles girl in new york city

A STYLE, MUSIC, ART, AND TRAVEL JOURNAL

Friday, July 15, 2016

100 DAYS IN LA: Porches and BØRNS on the Santa Monica Pier (day 61)

Los Angeles is a huge city (making it notoriously car-friendly) comprised of a bunch of smaller neighborhood cities. This wide variety of communities allows for lots of different fun events throughout the year, from hiking in the Santa Monica Mountains, to exploring the Arts District downtown, to catching free concerts in Santa Monica. Every summer, the Santa Monica Pier has a series called Twilight Concerts, where the pier transforms into a mini music festival on Thursday nights. They also show free movies on a giant projector screen - I saw Ferris Bueller's Day Off a couple years ago, which was a ton of fun.

I'm moving to New York City at the end of August 2016 to begin my freshman year at Columbia University. As a born and bred Californian girl, I have mixed feelings about leaving for the East Coast. For my 'goodbye' to the city I've called home for the past 13 years of my life, I'll be chronicling my last 100 days on this blog before the big move.


On day 61/100, I finally went with my friend Honour to one of the summer Twilight Concerts and saw Porches open for BØRNS. Here's what I wore:




top: Brandy Melville
crop top (worn underneath): Purrr Melrose
jeans: Vintage, from Melrose Trading Post
shoes: Vagabond
bag: Mansur Gavriel

We drove down to Santa Monica early to have a picnic on the park above PCH and walk over to the pier to get good spots. There were already tons of people there waiting for BØRNS, who we didn't even end up seeing (sorry to any fans of his) because we kinda only went for Porches and after they finished we got kettle corn and then left. There were so many people that the pier was at capacity, and a whole other crowd was on the beach below, trying to at least hear some of the concert.


There were awesomely weird rainbow balloons dotting the area around the stage.


Aaron Maine of Porches had the best outfit on: Dickies pants, a Madonna tour t-shirt, and a white "Santa Monica" bucket hat.


The stage itself was very aesthetically pleasing. Porches' set was about one hour long, which I was so happy about. I'd never seen them before, and they did not disappoint! Maine asked who was there to see them, and even though only a few people screamed out (myself included), the band got the whole crowd dancing along to songs like "Be Apart" and "Mood." Most of their setlist was from 2016's Pool release.


Some lucky people got to stand on the roof of one of the pier restaurants before security came and kicked them off.


There was a lil butt shakin' from the band members, of course.


For my first concert in Santa Monica (and on the pier for that matter), I had a great time. All in all, I only spent $4.95 for parking, and saw a great band that I've been wanting to catch for months now. I'd say it was good practice for being a broke college student in NYC!

xx Alyssa

4 comments:

  1. loving your outfit, especially that brandy top! ugh the concert looked so fun, going to concerts outside is wayy better than inside. i hope you had an amazin time!!
    xo kate
    http://www.collageofkate.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It really is so much more fun - and normally not as hot and sweaty, haha. It was great!

      Delete
  2. Firstly congrats on getting into columbia! Secondly I absolutely adore your outfit, those shoes are such goals! The gig looked wicked, love the stage set up, I'm glad you had a good time! :)

    Heather Xx
    100waysto30.co.uk

    ReplyDelete