a los angeles girl in new york city

A STYLE, MUSIC, ART, AND TRAVEL JOURNAL

Tuesday, August 23, 2016

100 DAYS IN LA: goodbyes (day 100)

When I started this blog in sixth grade, I was only ten years old - nevertheless, I still had "visions of New York City." I was enthralled by it. I don't think I had even visited the state of New York at the time of this blog's creation. The two following summers, I took courses at FIT and Parsons, and finally got a taste of city life. I always new that I would live in NYC at some point. Once I started high school and actually had to think about my future (aka college), my plan was set: I'd go to school, then move to New York where I'd find a job in some kind of creative industry, live in a beautiful white-walled apartment, and dance around to The Strokes' 2001 debut, Is This It, while celebrating my entrance into true adulthood.

In March of this year, I found out that I got into Columbia University. I quickly decided that was the school I was meant to attend; everything about it seemed to perfect. It wasn't until a couple of days later that I realized the significance of the title of this blog in relation to my college choice. New York City, to me, was always a "vision," and not really a plan in the near future. Well, the near future is here. 

On my 100th and last day in the city I've called home for the past 13 years of my life, I didn't do much. I went to Soulcycle with my mom, went to the bank to make sure my ATM card worked, got lunch with my mom and brother, got my nails painted, walked around my neighborhood listening to songs that remind me of California suburbia, ate dinner at home, and then frantically repacked after I realized one of my suitcases was pushing 90 pounds. I guess that sounds like a lot, but I was distracted the whole day with the thought of moving across the country. I'm writing this at 11:45 PM in my bed on my iPhone (side note: Google really needs to get to work on that blogger app) and I just don't think I can articulate what I'm feeling right now. It's a mix of nostalgia, excitement, and nerves. I don't really know what's in store for me.

I've had this little tradition since 2013 where I listen to "Family Friend," "That Summer Feeling," and "Wetsuit" by The Vaccines (in that order) in my bed on the last night of summer. I'm actually taking a break between the latter two to write this. 

My flight is at 10 AM, and after today, you may not hear from me for a while unless it's a post I've scheduled before I left home. I'm not quite sure what the future has in store for this blog, since I won't have my mom and brother to take outfit photos of me in the morning before school anymore. I won't have internet the first couple of days since I'm going on a camping trip with other new students. I don't have a plan. I don't want this to sound dramatic, but this is a big transition, and my head it kind of everywhere and anywhere at the moment. Thank you for reading, commenting, and caring up until this point - it means the world. Until next time.

xx Alyssa

4 comments:

  1. omg I'm so incredibly excited and happy for you! This is going to be huge and I wish you the very best of luck!! don't stop posting because I love your blog a lot - one of the first I found on Blogger. Safe journey xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. good luck in New York!! so happy that your "visions of nyc" are coming true!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been reading your blog for years now and this makes me so incredibly happy to see your dreams coming true ! I have the same dreams of living in NYC and I can't wait to hear all about this next step in your life. Best of luck and enjoy the city ! ☮ abigail

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't mind me asking but how did you get into Columbia? xx

    ReplyDelete