a los angeles girl in new york city

A STYLE, MUSIC, ART, AND TRAVEL JOURNAL

Thursday, August 18, 2016

100 DAYS IN LA: Ikea and Flume x Jonathan Zawada (day 92)

You'd think that by day 92 of my last 100 days in Los Angeles, I'd be ready to leave. Well, I still haven't finished packing (and it's past day 92 now), and I still feel like I haven't done everything I possibly could around the city. 

 I'm moving to New York City at the end of August 2016 to begin my freshman year at Columbia University. As a born and bred Californian girl, I have mixed feelings about leaving for the East Coast. For my 'goodbye' to the city I've called home for the past 13 years of my life, I'll be chronicling my last 100 days on this blog before the big move.


On the morning of my 92nd day, I went to IKEA in Burbank with my brother to stock up on dorm decor. He, of course, bought a couple of things also - how can you resist?


I got a mini ironing board, a cool desk light, cork coasters with a matching mug, and a desktop vanity mirror. I wish my dorm room just looked like IKEA's displays.


After IKEA, I went with my friends to Space 15 Twenty in Hollywood to check out the Flume x Jonathan Zawada installation, Skin. I'd seen in on Instagram and had been dying to go, and was not disappointed. The visuals were unbelievably cool, and the music that Flume made to go along with them was definitely different and interesting. 



I wore...
t-shirt: Gosha Rubchinksiy
shirt: Vintage, from Rose Bowl Flea Market
bag: Mansur Gavriel
sunnies: Ray-ban
shoes (not pictured): Birkenstocks


After checking out the installation, we went into the Urban Outfitters home store, which I've never visited before. The last time I went to Space 15 Twenty, it wasn't open yet. It just made me feel worse about my cinderblock-wall future dorm room.


After a quick stop at Amoeba Records, where I bought Car Seat Headrest's Teens of Denial on vinyl, we went to the Alfred Tea Room on Melrose Place one last time.


One of my best friends leaves for college tomorrow - we already said goodbye, and although I don't really get emotional about goodbyes, it was really sad. It just hit that I'm starting a completely new chapter of my life. Can you believe I leave on Tuesday morning? I only have four more days!

xx Alyssa

2 comments:

  1. That Flume exhibition looks sooooo cool!!! I wanted to go so bad, but couldn't. Also, IKEA is one of the best places ever, they have everything and for good prices!!!! I got everything there when I moved out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was awesome! I really wish I got to go to the opening night where he came and signed records... ahhh I'm dying to meet him. I can't wait to get my first apartment after I graduate college and decorate it with everything ikea :)

      Delete