a los angeles girl in new york city

A STYLE, MUSIC, ART, AND TRAVEL JOURNAL

Sunday, August 21, 2016

100 DAYS IN LA: Rostam and Cindy Sherman at The Broad Museum (day 98)

On my third-to-last day before the big move, I went with my brother and mom to The Broad Museum's Summer Happening event to see Cindy Sherman's Imitation of Life exhibition and a performance by one of my favorite Columbia University alumnus, Rostam Batmanglij (formerly of Vampire Weekend). 



 I'm moving to New York City at the end of August 2016 to begin my freshman year at Columbia University. As a born and bred Californian girl, I have mixed feelings about leaving for the East Coast. For my 'goodbye' to the city I've called home for the past 13 years of my life, I'll be chronicling my last 100 days on this blog before the big move.


Before the event, we went to Grand Central Market for dinner. This is always my favorite place to go with friends because you don't have to agree on what kind of food you want - I got homemade spaghetti, while my brother got a German sausage.


When the doors to The Broad opened at 8:30, I went straight for the Cindy Sherman exhibition. I studied a couple of Sherman's work for my AP Art History class last year, so I know quite a lot about her, and really enjoyed the exhibition. Her work is so interesting! 


After taking the above photo, I realized that the art appreciator in the frame was Samuel Long, aka SOPHIE. I freaked out a little bit - this dude is awesome. I saw him at Coachella a couple of months back with a bunch of my friends, so I quickly texted a couple of them out of excitement.

Rostam's performance was everything I'd hoped it would be. After hearing he had left Vampire Weekend earlier this year, I was disappointed; what would this mean for the band? But I still can't help being excited for whatever Rostam's got in store. His music is just as great live as his recordings.


He started out with two unreleased songs before promising to "play some songs you might've actually heard before." These included "It's Not My Fault (It's My Fault)" off of Discovery's album LP, "EOS," "Gravity Don't Pull Me," and "Wood." "I'm going to make a smooth transition now from my gayest song to my most Persian," he said between the latter two. 




Overall, the performance was just as good as I had hoped it would be. Since I now have only less than two full days left before my move, I won't be going into the city again; instead, I'll be finishing my errands and packing in the suburbs. So long, Los Angeles! 

xx Alyssa

2 comments: