a los angeles girl in new york city

A STYLE, MUSIC, ART, AND TRAVEL JOURNAL

Wednesday, August 10, 2016

100 DAYS IN LA // Sufjan Stevens, Kurt Vile, and Ibeyi at the Hollywood Bowl (day 84)

Hello and welcome back to my 100 Days in LA series! Can you believe that last time I posted was on day 67? I guess I didn't account for the two-week vacation break I'd be taking from these one hundred days. Regardless, I'm back with photos from an amazing concert I saw at the Hollywood Bowl, headlined by Sufjan Stevens with support from French-Cuban sister act Ibeyi and Philly rockers Kurt Vile & The Violators.

 I'm moving to New York City at the end of August 2016 to begin my freshman year at Columbia University. As a born and bred Californian girl, I have mixed feelings about leaving for the East Coast. For my 'goodbye' to the city I've called home for the past 13 years of my life, I'll be chronicling my last 100 days on this blog before the big move.


A couple of months ago, my younger brother Cole saw that Sufjan Stevens would be ending his nearly 1.5 year long tour at the Hollywood Bowl, so we had to be there. We haven't been fans of Sufjan Steven's music for very long, but after hearing him on the radio sometime in 2015 and subsequently falling in love with Carrie & Lowell, we knew we couldn't skip this show: his first at the Hollywood Bowl. I didn't catch his set at Coachella, and I didn't want to miss another opportunity to see the spectacle that is Sufjan Stevens live.


French-Cuban sisters Ibeyi opened up the show, and I was really impressed. I'm definitely going to check out their music online after I finish writing this post.


Next up was Kurt Vile & The Violators, who I also loved; I know a couple of Kurt Vile's songs, so it was fun to finally see them live.


Seeing Sufjan Stevens live was definitely an experience that I was not prepared for. I'd heard he was amazing at Coachella, but I hadn't seen any photos or videos, and oh my god... what a show! All of the costumes, dance moves, and commentary made it so exciting and interactive. The Hollywood Bowl crowd is always an interesting one, as there's a ton of boxes up in the front where people just come to picnic, drink, and talk during the show - thankfully, everyone around my seating area was really into Sufjan Stevens. I had a ton of fun singing and clapping along with my lil bro. I can honestly say this was one of the best shows I have ever been to: a perfect night at the Hollywood Bowl to kick off my last two weeks in Los Angeles.


xx Alyssa

No comments:

Post a Comment