a los angeles girl in new york city

A STYLE, MUSIC, ART, AND TRAVEL JOURNAL

Thursday, November 10, 2016

MUSEUM DAY: Pipilotti Rist, Alex Da Corte, Dev Hynes, etc.

Taking full advantage of the 5-day weekend I got because of Election Day, I caught the subway downtown and spent a couple of hours exploring the New Museum and the Whitney Museum. I'd been meaning to visit both to see their new exhibitions, and I was not disappointed. I even got into both museums free, which was awesome!

The New Museum is currently showing Pipilotti Rist's immersive exhibition Pixel Forest. I've been a fan of her work since my professors at SAIC's 2015 summer high school program referred me to her as I was starting to experiment with video art. Here are a couple of photos I took:


After viewing the whole exhibition, I climbed the stairs up to the New Museum's Sky Room and took this snapshot of a well-dressed duo.


I did a bit of shopping in Soho before walking all the way up to Chelsea to visit the Whitney Museum. Here's an outfit selfy I took in & Other Stories:


dress: Reformation
shoes: Acne Studios
tights: from the Halloween store!
coat: Reformation
bag: Opening Ceremony
scarf: Rag & Bone

The Whitney Museum is currently showing the Carmen Herrera exhibition Lines of Sight (which I saw the day it opened back in September) and Dreamlands: Immersive Cinema and Art, 1905-2016. My favorite piece was Easternsports, an installation including neon signs, video, sound, and smell, and scored by Dev Hynes. There were a lot of other interesting rooms with video/light works that I enjoyed as well.


All in all, it was a wonderful day of shopping and museum hopping. 

xx Alyssa

No comments:

Post a Comment